Domestic RHI - How to Get EPC for Your Property

This page explains what an EPC is, how it is the very first step in a domestic RHI project and how to locate an energy assessor in your area.

What is domestic RHI?

The Domestic RHI (Renewable Heat Incentive) is a scheme that pays homeowners and landlords for the heat that that they generate from a single biomass boiler and use to supply heating and hot water to a single domestic dwelling.

How are payments determined?

Following recent reforms to the RHI scheme, the payments which are available at a rate of 6.54p per kWh, for heat generated by biomass boiler heating systems up to 45kW, are 'deemed'. This means that the government determines the heating and hot water requirements (or heat load) of the property based on a series of energy calculations and assumptions.

These are based on a home having the heating on for 30% of the year on average, which is 1,314 hours. This 'deemed' figure for any given property is then contained within an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Therefore gaining one for your property is the first step in your application for inclusion in the domestic RHI.

Domestic RHI calculator

How are heat load calculations made?

An assessor will visit your home and make a series of calculations based on the heating and hot water requirements (or heat load) of the property. The heat load of the property is calculated by adding both heating and hot water requirements together and subtracting the impact of any loft, cavity or solid wall insulation.

An example can be seen below and the size of biomass boiler is calculated by dividing the EPC value by 1,314 hours. In the example below, the size of biomass boiler would therefore be 19kW.

How do I go about getting an EPC?

New homeowners may be given an EPC for the property as part of the house’s paperwork, which may suffice. However, in most cases, you will need a visit from Domestic Energy Assessor to gain a new EPC.

It is important to use an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor, who is qualified and recognised by Ofgemas accredited to conduct a domestic energy review and to generate an EPC. Finding an assessor can seem like a daunting task, but in reality it is really quite simple.

How do I find a Domestic Energy Assessor?

The Landmark Information Group has created a user-friendly online postcode search tool, which you can enter your search criteria, such as postcode to find relevant and accredited assessors in your area, which you can access by clicking here or on the image above. As always, give us a ring or drop us an email if you have any questions.