Hallslake Farm occupies a stunning setting overlooking the breathtaking, steeply undulating valley where the East Lyn River meets Farley Water, before rushing to join the Bristol Chanel at Lynmouth.
Much of the partly timbered surrounding countryside is National Trust owned, and the woodlands provide great opportunities for the supply of biomass fuel.
Since buying the farm, the owners have been trying to establish a sustainable farm business. Their plans are to use biomass to reduce their heating costs and to gain income from the Renewable Heat Incentive to support them in the longer term.
A 110kW Lindner & Sommerauer Komfort plus biomass boiler was installed to burn wood chips and to heat the farm house and lambing sheds. The system includes a 2,000 litre thermal store with coil, insulation and a 5 metre agitator.
Summary of Project
- 110kW Lindner & Sommerauer wood chip boiler.
- Fully automated wood chip fuel delivery system.
- 2,000 litre buffer tank.
- 5 metre agitator
- Runs on wood chips.
- RHI eligible ultrasonic heat meters complete with certification.
- Consumer Interface Unit fitted into main building
- Biomass boiler linked to existing heating and hot water system.
- High efficiency, low energy main system pump.
- Full assistance with RHI application including schematic drawings.
- Bespoke boiler house construction.
- Commissioning, programming and end user training.
- Fuel Consumption: 44 tonnes of wood chips, per annum, (based on system of similar capacity, in a similar application).
- Fuel Cost Saving: Wood Chips; 50% versus heating oil.
- CO2 Saving: Up to 96% or 44 tonnes vs heating oil,(Source; Biomass Energy Centre.)
- RHI Payments: A project of this size would gain approximately £12,141 in RHI payments every year for 20 years, index linked to inflation.
- Total Project Price: £45,000
- Payback Period: 5-6 years (combining RHI income & fuel cost saving).
Specifications SL 110kW Max. Heat Output 110kW Min Heat Output 23.7kW Max. Combustion Efficiency 92.1% Min. Combustion Efficiency 91.3% Width 770mm Depth 1,265mm Height 1,520mm Flow & Return Dia 40mm Flue Connection Height 650mm Flue Connection Dia. 200mm Boiler Weight (Assemled) 920kg Auger Weight 83kg Water Content 120 Litres Power Consumption 16Amp, 400V
Renewable Heat Incentive
The installation is eligible for the Commercial Renewable Heat Incentive and a project of this size would generate RHI payments of approximately £12,141, every year for 20 years. The fuel cost savings and RHI payments combined will mean a 5-6 year payback on the capital cost of the equipment.